Monday, October 28, 2013

Dark Poem of Addiction

  Let me just get this post started by saying I love Lou Reed. One of the first albums I ever bought from the record store was the Velvet Underground & Nico, and it rocked. There's a famous quite (supposedly by Brian Eno) "The Velvet Underground's first album only sold a few thousand copies, but everyone who bought one formed a band." Although it has been confirmed that around 1969 (about two years after the album's initial release) that about 58,476 copies were sold, rather than just a "few thousand," I feel that this quote still holds true power. Just listening to anything by the band and you will absolutely love it. It will transport you to a futuristic world in which music cannot be defined by year or genre. And you will love it.
  That being said, I don't plan on making this a depressing tribute post to the lovely life of Lou and all his work. I plan on making this a celebratory post on everything going on in my life right now, and I hope you all will appreciate it.
  This past Thursday and Friday were.. heavenly. I was finally happy, for one of the first times in the past year, and for no particular reason, either. Actually, on both Thursday and Friday I couldn't stop listening to the Velvet's "Heroin" and "Sweet Jane." Both those songs always mellow me out.. I'm listening to them as a type, and the sweet sixties vibe is calming me down. It's strange.. they're an upbeat rock band, yet they make you feel like you're floating on a groovy cloud. I wasn't planning on making this a Lou post, but fuck.. listening to the Velvet Underground again is bringing back so many memories. They just have a sound that's so unique, I can't even describe it. Screw ranting about my life. Everyone go listen to Lou Reed!





No comments:

Post a Comment