Wednesday, December 5, 2012

She's a Femme Fatale

 Warning: Feminism Rant!

 I personally feel like females in the entertainment business are not taken seriously. If they try to make a career out of themselves people generally think, "Oh, good for her!" Or, "Oh, how cute!" It's always a 'I'm-glad-she-could-do-it' type of situation. If a male is in the entertainment business, it seems to come as second nature. It's just expected of him to get a decent career.
  I've found this unintentional sexism especially evident in the music industry. Male bands are considered typical, while all female groups are mostly considered a joke, and they're simply not as popular with the public. Young girls listen to bands consisting of all males because they're attractive and talented, while young boys don't listen to all female groups because they lack interest. The only way they'd associate themselves with these groups if they thought the band's members were attractive, and even then, they probably wouldn't listen to them.
  Now of course this isn't always the case, but most of the time, sadly, it's true. I haven't really been involved in feminism before this year but sites like Rookiemag have really made me think. Why aren't girls treated fairly in the business world?
  This also got me thinking: There are a lot of female musicians that I really admire. But do I admire them just because I'm a female as well? If any guys read this (which I know they don't) is this statement true? Do only females actually appreciate music other females make? Because I sure as hell love music men make as well. In fact, a majority of my favorite musicians are men. This isn't because I'm sexist against my own kind; It's simply because there aren't many serious female musicians out there. There used to be, but they slowly died out and were replaced with sluts using auto-tune.
  Here are a couple female musicians from the 60's and 70's that I love. I won't provide all that much about them, but that doesn't mean I don't love them!
France Gall was a French pop singer in the mid-60's. Although her career wasn't vivid, she enjoyed great success with the few hits she had.

Nancy Sinatra; She was Frank Sinatra's daughter. Although she didn't have as vivid a music career as her father, her hit song "These Boots Are Made For Walking" is still deemed a classic in female power.

Nico, pictured center; This picture is of the Velvet Underground from when Nico joined them for their hit album, The Velvet Underground and Nico. She is know for her deep voice and was very good friends with pop artist Andy Warhol.
Brigitte Bardot; Although Brigitte was seen as a sex symbol throughout the world during the 1950's and 60's, she tried a singing career and landed a decent hit with "Moi Je Joue." She is more known for her acting, but this is sadly a song that provides men was a more sexual healing than musical.
Before Cher launched her acting career, she was a singing partner with then husband Sonny Bono in the group Sonny & Cher. Their hit song "I Got You Babe" was yet another example that a wife couldn't make it without a man by her side. Cher later disproved this point by creating a successful solo career after she and Sonny divorced.


The Runaways were an all-girl punk rock band in the late 1970's. They didn't have too many hits either, but I think this is primarily because they were an all-female group. Joan Jett (far right) became the most famous of the group, launching a successful solo career throughout the 1980's afterward.


Twiggy was more known for her iconic modeling throughout the 1960's, but she did launch a singing career eventually. "When I Think of You" was her biggest song but wasn't much of a hit.
Like many others on this list, Françoise Hardy wasn't known much for her singing up until the mid 60's. She was also a French TV actress and model.

  I guess for those of you who don't appreciate music made by female artists, I've made a playlist with a few of my favorites from the 60's and 70's. Enjoy! Hope the rant didn't bother ya.


1.) "These Boots Are Made For Walking" - Nancy Sinatra
2.) "Femme Fatale" - The Velvet Underground and Nico
3.) "Moi Je Joue" - Brigitte Bardot
4.) "I Got You Babe" - Sonny & Cher
5.) "Laisse Tomber Les Filles" - France Gall
6.) "When I Think of You" - Twiggy
7.) "Cherry Bomb" - The Runaways
8.) "Le Temps De L'amour" - Françoise Hardy

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean. I really want to start a band, but I always have this worry that no one will take me seriously.

    ReplyDelete