Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Awaiting My Own Summer of Love

  Although it's not quite summer yet, I can only dream. I work at an ice cream place and we've just recently opened up for the season after closing in December. This can only signal the start of both spring and summer, as well as a much warmer season. Yesterday it was 62°F here (which is pretty fucking warm for MA), the warmest it's been since probably September. This season had been ridiculously cold; I've had six snow days. Thankfully the snow is all melting and the air is becoming less crisp.
From Rookie; I can only wish I could go on a road trip as beautiful as this during the summer.
  For me, summer reminds me of psychedelia. I long to live in a place like San Francisco where every day is summer. I know San Francisco isn't the same as it was c. 1967, but I'm sure it's a much better place to live than the dark and gloomy state of Massachusetts. It's always freezing here. In winter, the average is about 10° (which isn't all that cold, I'm just a wuss), in spring around 40-50° (although it's been much colder due to the SIX SNOW DAYS), and in summer, it can be anywhere from 65 to 100°. It really depends on the air's mood, I guess.
Screencap from Harold and Maude, 1970. Seeing Harold playing banjo in the warm summer air only makes me miss it more!
  But yes, for me, summer represents psychedelia, and vice versa. If you think about it, summer is when all the concerts are, all those fun vacations with friends and families, all the fun memories (well, for me at least.) I remember last summer I went to more concerts than I'd ever been to before, ranging from Ringo Starr & his All-Starr Band to Aerosmith. This summer I'm planning on seeing The Beach Boys and if I can afford it, Paul McCartney. But enough about me. Summer = psychedelia in my mind.

I'm sorry, I forgot the source; Anyways, this image is a perfect example of trippy photography from the late sixties. And just check out their pants! Fashion inspirations.
  If you look at psychedelic posters and photographs from the late sixties, you'll see they often have one common theme; usually bright-colored, chunky font, and groovy clothing. Oh, how I wish I could be a 1967 poster! Just take a look at them and see, I guarantee you'll fall in love with the summer of love.
1970 Music Connection poster

Spock! Check out those groovy colors.

Source Unknown, Swimming Pool c. late sixties, future home inspiration

Found on Google Images; I seriously NEED these shoes. I have a soft spot for red, yellow, and blue together in basic yet bold patterns.
From Rookie. Gotta love the trippy font!


Songs in bold are my personal favorites from this playlist. (Although I must admit this playlist was hard to pick just five from, I love them all!)

  1. "For What it's Worth" by Buffalo Springfield
  2. "Strange Brew" by Cream
  3. "Season of the Witch" by Donovan
  4. "2000 Light Years From Home" by The Rolling Stones
  5. "She Just Satisfies" by Jimmy Page
  6. "Do You Believe in Magic?" by The Lovin' Spoonful
  7. "San Francisco (Be Sure To Wear Flowers in Your Hair)" by Scott McKenzie
  8. "Good Vibrations" by The Beach Boys
  9. "Technicolour Dreams" by Status Quo
  10. "Beck's Bolero" by Jeff Beck

1 comment:

  1. This is such an awesome post, really has me wanting summer. I find myself usually prefering fall and winter, but I'm actually so excited for summer (this helped).

    ReplyDelete