Friday, April 12, 2013

Silence is Golden


  Today is the Day of Silence. For those of you who don't know, the Day of Silence represents the silence that is caused by anti-LGBTQ (Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender and Questioning) bullying and harassment. This means that if someone who is part of the LGBTQ community is being bullied, they may be silent about it, or silent about the fact that they are in fact part of the LGBTQ community to begin with. By ending this silence, we can take the first step toward building awareness and making a commitment that addresses these injustices.
  In order to participate, I must stay silent all day. This is going to be very easy for me, as I am a silent person in general. Unfortunately, I have work immediately after school, and I would likely be fired if I didn't take orders or interact with customers. But I have vowed to stay silent until then.
  I'm carrying around a mini erase board and stylus pen in order to communicate, but other than that, I haven't said a word. But it bothers me that some kids are just using the Day of Silence as an excuse not to talk during classes or present projects. I understand why they may not want to talk during class, but it bothers me that they're taking advantage of this support day for their own personal pleasure. It also really bothers me how the kids behind me in CDS (That's what we call homeroom here) are using the word "gay" as an alternative for the word "stupid." It just.. god, it makes me sick. And for some reason, it bothers me how some people who are supposedly such "big" supporters of gay rights in my grade aren't participating either. But if I judge them, I'm just as bad as those judgmental of the LGBTQ community, aren't I?
  Anyways, hopefully my post on the Day of Silence has inspired you to start your own... maybe? Okay, now enjoy some pictures that were also in my Tumblr-isms post because Tumblr is blocked here, and I can't post any new images I've found showing my support for the LGBTQ community. Have a fabulous Friday!





1 comment:

  1. Don't judge people who seem to support gay rights, but don't participate too harshly. We had a silent day for, I think it was famine and many people didn't participate saying that they didn't feel it helped the problem in any way.

    ReplyDelete