Thursday, November 29, 2012

Who I Am

  I realized yesterday that you guys probably know nothing about me. This is kind of sad, considering I've given you all this information about the music and fashion I love, and yet nothing about the actual me. My name is Sam and I'm fourteen years young, I live on the East coast of the U.S. and am one of the only people I know that is as obsessed with the sixties and seventies like I am. My room is completely decked out in music, books, and posters, as well as other personal belongings that represent the decade. Why don't you have a look yourself?


My bookshelf. I recently emptied it out to fit more personal belongings. The big John Lennon book on the top shelf was originally $30, but my dad snagged it at a sale for only $5. The Beatles over-sized shot glasses on the second shelf were a gift for Christmas, and the Who plate is something I painted at a local pottery place. The shoes on the third shelf are all thrifted with the exception of the saddle shoes, which I purchased at Payless.

Some of my favorite books. They read, from L to R: Clapton by Eric Clapton, The Green Mile by Stephen King, A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess, The Beatles 1967-70, Working Class Mystic (About George Harrison) by Gary Tillery, According to the Rolling Stones (by the Stones themselves), Miss O'Dell (A GREAT read, I highly recommend it) by Chris O'Dell, Who I Am (autographed too!) by Pete Townshend, and Wonderful Tonight by Pattie Boyd. The movies read, also from L to R: The Quarrymen, Heathers, A Hard Day's Night, The Monkees Season 2.

The large "Treasures of the Beatles" sign in the center is actually the cover sleeve of a book. Next to that is my Beatles lunchbox, a Bob Dylan poster, and an Abbey Road poster.

My wall of mini posters! Here they all are, from top to bottom, L to R: Jefferson Airplane, the Beatles, Pattie Boyd, the Rolling Stones (Their Satanic Majesties Request), Pete Townshend smashing a guitar, Led Zeppelin, Keith Moon, Pattie Boyd and the Rolling Stones, John and Yoko's 'War is Over' sign, two photographs of my dad and I, a postcard from California, a brochure for the play 'Million Dollar Quartet,' The Beatles, George Harrison, Klaus Voormann, (Below that are the Beatles and the Beatles' Apple logo), The Beatles, two Clockwork Orange posters, A George Harrison card my friend made me, more Beatles, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, MORE Beatles, a brochure for Lez Zeppelin, a great Led Zeppelin cover band, The Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd, And Beatles, Beatles, Beatles.

The sleeve to Revolver (hung on a coat hanger that I bent myself to make a rack!). Unfortunately I received this from my dad's friend and there was no album inside! I decided to make the best of a bad situation and hang the empty sleeve for decoration.

My mod jacket! The patches are for the Who, The Beatles, and Pink Floyd, and the pins are for the Beatles, Sgt. Pepper, and George Harrison.

My concert tickets (so far!). From top to bottom, L to R: A ticket from the train from London to Liverpool, Ringo Starr and his All-Starr band, two Rolling Stones tickets, Hilary Duff (don't laugh, I was seven!), Who I am interview with Pete Townshend, Ray Manzarek and Robby Kreiger of the Doors, Rain: A tribute to the Beatles, and Lez Zeppelin. Unfortunately by Glimmer Twins, Beatlehjuice, and Who tickets aren't on there! I need a bigger board!

My beloved guitar in front of my Yellow Submarine poster. This guitar is actually over thirty years old; it's my uncles and he gave it to me a few months ago to keep. The strings are original from when it was first purchased, and the guitar was so out of tune when I first received it that I could lift them up about a foot off of the guitar! Luckily, none of the strings snapped when I tuned it and now it plays wonderfully.

A close up of my Abbey Road guitar pick and Yellow Submarine poster.

The Elvis Presley patch on the quilt my grandmother made me.

My Batman guitar my dad gave me for my birthday. It plays absolutely horribly, and the amp to the right of it is no help at all. Hopefully I'll be selling this in order to make some cash to buy a decent one!

More tickers! This is an Abbey Road black and white photograph framed with fake signatures below each Beatle (the tickets are covering them, I'm sorry). The tickets read, from L to R: Rain: A tribute to the Beatles, Lez Zeppelin (I think? Either that or Beatlejuice), and my movie ticket to Moonrise Kingdom. On the left is a postcard I won at the actual Cavern Club in Liverpool! On the right is a brochure from It's Only Rock and Roll, a lovely rock and roll T-shirt store across from the Sherlock Holmes museum on Baker Street in London.

A Beatles poster I received in a book I purchased. Poor Ringo all alone in the left corner!

Another angle of my room. There's my bed, my giant Beatles poster (which is about five feet tall) and more posters, including my Yellow Submarine one (next to my bed) my Quadrophenia one (above my bed), more Beatles, a Woodstock poster, and another angle of the Bob Dylan one. Another Beatles poster is above the Woodstock one, but it's been cut off.


A James Dean poster I purchased in Cape Cod. It's laminated, I love it!


Another angle of my poster wall, showing the Dark Side of the Moon, Paul McCartney, a Ringo Starr interview, and many more.


  Well, I hope you enjoyed my room! To get to know me a little more, I've made a playlist of some of my favorite songs of all time! Hopefully you'll enjoy. :)

1. "Peace Frog" - The Doors
2. "Go All The Way" - The Raspberries
3. "Misty Mountain Hop" - Led Zeppelin
4. "Sexy Sadie" - The Beatles
5. "Sister Golden Hair" - America
6. "Love Grows (Where my Rosemary Goes)" - Edison Lighthouse
7. "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" - Paul McCartney (Although, the Admiral Halsey part is the only part I like)
8. "Happiness is a Warm Gun" - The Beatles
9. "Ramble On" - Led Zeppelin
10. "Twelve Thirty (Young Girls are Coming to the Canyon)" - The Mamas and the Papas
11. "Let's Spend the Night Together" - The Rolling Stones
12. "Pictures of Lily" - The Who

2 comments:

  1. Omg, I love the mod jacket! I have a military jacket but I don't think I want to patch that one. I'm waiting to find a parka. I really love seeing other people's jackets though! Inspires me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your room is so rad, sam! the colors of your wall are so groovy~ by the way, all of the playlists you make are flawless <3

    ReplyDelete